Many members have also been asking about the 2019 On-to-Conference tour. Plans are at an advanced stage, and the following is a summary of what you can expect.
What will be the key themes? The 2019 OTC Tour is about renewable energy, water supply, provenance and local communities bound together with the common threads of Rotary service, friendship and fun.
Where will we visit? We will explore South West Gippsland and the Yarra Valley; within 130 km of Melbourne CBD spending nearly 4 days together on a variety of activities.
Day 1 - Tuesday, 12 February - South Gippsland
• Lunch at the Korumburra Golf Club where we will learn about Burra Foods, an innovative exporter of processed dairy good, particularly to Japan and China;
• Combined fellowship meeting and dinner with the Rotary Club of Korumburra at the Burra Brewery
• Stay overnight at the RACV Inverloch Resort.
Day 2 - Wednesday, 13 February - South Gippsland
• Stroll through the Victorian Desal Plant Ecological Reserve (Wonthaggi) and observe the world class 225 hectare restored vegetation project
• Briefing and viewing of the Victorian Desalination Plant• Lunch at the Wonthaggi Hotel
• Briefing and viewing of the Bald Hills Wind Farm at Tarwin Lower
• Secret Cinema presented by Hugh Bucknall
• Drinks (sampling of local wines),
• Dinner, and guest speaker: Adrian Kloeden, RCM Member and Chair of AquaSure, the operators of the Victorian Desal Plant
• Overnight at the RACV Inverloch Resort.
Day 3 - Thursday 14 February - Yarra Valley
• Drive to the Yarra Valley• Visit and explore the garden of Coombe - The Melba Estate and enjoy an indulgent Devonshire Tea;
• Lunch and wine tasting at Rochford Wines
• The opportunity to visit the famous Yarra Valley Chocolaterie & Ice Creamery in Yarra Glen
• Relax at Healesville’s local attractions such as the Tarrawarra Museum of Art and Healesville Candy Emporium
• Dinner and overnight at the RACV Country Club, Healesville.
Day 4 - Friday 15 February - Yarra Valley (Some participants may wish to attend the Rotary Peace Summit, at the Melbourne Convention Centre on Friday, 15 February, 2019)
A relaxed morning is in store offering multiple choices:
- For the golf lovers, tackle the RACV Country Club courseo Check out the Healesville Sanctuary, which is probably very different to when you last visited;
- Take a brisk bush walk in the Yarra Ranges National Park;
- Indulge (if you need more!) at the Four Pillars Distillery - a former timber yard transformed into a fully functioning gin distillery;
- Enjoy the views at the Maroondah Reservoir Park.
• Informal lunch at the Giant Steps Winery
• Afternoon - return to Melbourne;
• Late afternoon: President’s Drinks as guests of Past President, Clive Weeks and Helen;
• Multi-District Conference, Opening Function.
• Friday Evening: Club dinner, at a venue TBA.
1. Secure your place in the On-to-Conference Tour by completing the attached brief expression of interest form and paying the applicable deposit. Rotary_OTC_2019_EoI_[Your_Name]_1.pdf
2. Call Reg Smith, On-to-Conference Chair (0409 566 850) if you have any questions or suggestions.