Rotary Melbourne has been involved in the running of the Around The Bay in a Day Bicycle event for over 20 years and are looking to again raise at least $20,000 for The Smith Family’s - Learning for Life Programme. This program, which you may have seen advertised on television, helps with the education of children from underprivileged families - starting at primary school level and continuing through to tertiary studies. With recent cost of living struggles this work is more important than ever.
This year's ride will be on Sunday 8th October 2023 and our first fundraising event will be a request to sponsor our Team Rotary riders who will once agin be riding from Sorrento into the city
If you are able to raise additional funds by helping as a volunteer please put the October 8th date in your diary and let me know by emailing me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We are specifically looking to recruit volunteers to act as route marshals for both the 50 km and 100 km rides. These rides start at Albert Park and travel through Williamstown and Yarraville via the Westgate Bridge. This is easy work and really only involves making sure riders follow the designated route and encouraging slower riders to keep going.
- We also have opportunities for those who wish to drive a "sag wagon" which follows the riders and helps those in difficulty.
- An up to date Working with Children certification is required (I can provide guidance for those who may not already have it).
- Children between 15 and 18 are able to serve as route marshals if they are with an adult. (This can be a great opportunity to work with children or grandchildren).
- We will also be looking for volunteers for rest areas in Sorrento and at several locations closer to Melbourne.
I am happy to provide further detail or answer any questions you might have - I hope you will be able to volunteer with us this year.
Around the Bay in a Day Bicycle Ride