NATIONAL TREE DAY – 31st JULY 2022
SUNDAY, JULY 31, 2022
Help PLANET ARK plant one million native trees every year!
(Planet Ark is an non-for-profit environmental organisation)
NATIONAL TREE DAY is an annual Australia wide event promoted by PLANET ARK.
The annual event consists of inviting community organisations and, local councils to host a group activity for the plantings of trees, shrubs, and local grasses as a mark of recognition of National Tree Day.
Rotary Melbourne's Board has approved a proposal from the Environmental Sustainability Committee that Club Members can participate with a family member, or friend,to become a volunteer on National Tree Day by joining in a planting that a community group has organised.
The FRIENDS OF DANDENONG VALLEY PARKLANDS, an active environmental community group has selected NORTONS PARK, WANTIRNA SOUTH as a site to host a planting.
Nortons Park is a former paddock that is being returned to bushland with indigenous plants: 2,500 plantings in all - 300 trees, 1,600 shrubs and 600 grasses all from tube stock, there will be no heavy lifting.
- While the day commences at 10 a.m. and is due to complete at 3.30 p.m., most of the work will be done before a BBQ lunch at around 12:30 p.m.
- The BBQ lunch will be a sausage sizzle, with salad and bread provided. People may wish to bring a mid-morning snack and a bottle of water. Facilities are nearby.
- TOOLS/EQUIPMENT: will be supplied but volunteers are welcome to bring their own trowels as they could come in handy.
- CLOTHING: It is important to wear appropriate clothing for the weather conditions especially strong footwear. Certainly, bring outdoor gloves, especially if the ground is damp.
- Health and safety protocols will be explained on site at the commencement of the plantings with any perceived risks explained. A COVID safe plan will be in place pertaining to State regulations and guidelines.
- Children must be accompanied by a parent, or grandparent
- The hosting group believes this will be a popular planting site attracting volunteers so numbers may be limited, especially for group bookings. If Club members are thinking of volunteering, better to book sooner rather than later.
If you would like to volunteer on the day send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org the Environmental Sustainability Committee will then forwarded it to the Friends of Dandenong Valley Parklands.