Where is Rotary Melbourne Peace Park?
Rotary Melbourne Peace Park is located in the south-east corner of the Domain, bounded by Birdwood Ave, Domain Rd, Anderson St and the Royal Botanic Gardens.
Self-Guided Walking Tour - Rotary International Convention 2023
1. Starting from the City/Yarra River, walk south up St Kilda Road in direction of the Shrine of Remembrance (or catch tram along St Kilda Road and disembark Stop 17 - Grant Street).
2. Walk along St Kilda Road to Government House Drive where you will see the Marquis of Linlithgow Statue and in front of it, the Rotary Flower Bed, featuring the Rotary wheel in full bloom.
Make sure you take a photo!
Behind the Statue, look left for a glimpse of Government House, home of the Governor of Victoria, a Rotarian of the Rotary Club of Melbourne.
3. Walk up to Melbourne’s iconic Shrine of Remembrance, our city’s war memorial. Building of the Shrine was led by General Sir John Monash, Australia’s greatest war hero, and President of the Rotary Club of Melbourne in 1922-23.
4. Cross Birdwood Avenue and walk east along the “Tan”, Melbourne’s best known walking and running track which circles the Royal Botanic Gardens.
After 950m, you will reach Rotary Melbourne Peace Park. The park is a triangle bordered by Domain Road, Anderson Street, and Birdwood Avenue in Melbourne. It is adjacent to the south-east point of the Royal Botanic Gardens, next to Gate D.
Whilst at the Park, click on Commemorations in the menu of this website to learn more about each person commemorated at this Park with their plaque, tree or granite bench.
5. To head back, either return the way you came, or alternatively check out the Royal Botanic Gardens whilst you are here. Enter through Gate D of the Gardens and follow the signage within the gardens. Click here for a full map of the gardens. Highlights include the Ornamental Lake, National Herbarium and the Children's Garden. Exit via Gate O (adjacent to the Visitors Centre, Shop and Cafe) and you will once again be next to the Shrine of Remembrance to find you way home.