Our Rotary Park was created from part of the Domain Parklands created in 1841. These Parklands were later renamed in 1873 by William Guilfoyle and treasured by Melbourne as our Botanic Gardens.
Situated on the corner of Anderson Street and Domain Road, South Yarra; Rotary Park was allocated to the Rotary Club of Melbourne in 1934 during the Victorian Centenary Celebrations. The first tree dedication was made to the founder of Rotary, Paul Harris on his visit to Melbourne in 1935. It is listed as Tree Number 30 on our records. At that time, a tree was also dedicated to Mrs Jean Harris, not only for her support to her husband, but possibly as a reward for the “long voyage Down Under”!
Since that first dedication in 1935, out of a total of 43 tree dedications, 25 Rotary International Presidents have been honoured. Our own Honorary Member Royce Abbey has two trees as a mark of respect for his dedication to Rotary International and our Club.
It was recently that Ian Ferguson (Committee Chair) led a successful mission to the National Trust in securiing Heritage listing and official recognition of Rotary Park.